Saturday, February 2, 2008

Houston, we have a heartbeat! (10 Weeks)

It was my first visit at my OB's clinic at Medical City. I was tremendously happy meeting Dr. Perona. I immediately like her, felt completely at ease and comfortable with her. In fact, I like her better than my OB in Bcd. She's very friendly, more like a mom. She listens to every thing I say to her and always have a piece of advice. She jokes around and shares her experiences with me at the same time.

She ordered me to lay on the bed, put out my belly. Then took this small radio sized machine and put some oil on it. It's called the Doppler, a machine they use to listen for a heartbeat of a baby in the womb. It took her around 5 minutes to finally get to the perfect spot. She needs to poke on my stomach to get the baby to move closer to the Doppler. At first we only heard the sound of my pulse, then out of nowhere there's this faint sound, a beat that's so much faster than my pulse. Dr. Perona said that that's the heartbeat of the baby and asked if I can hear it clearly. I was overjoyed. It was a good strong heartbeat! It only lasted for a split second because the baby seems to be moving.

The sound of my baby’s heartbeat was the best thing I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. All those questions have truly been answered: I am totally pregnant and it is for real! It was the first real assurance that there is in fact a real person (a super tiny person) living and growing inside me. It is an experience that I will never forget.

No comments: