Friday, March 28, 2008

Sigh!

My urinalysis' report came out today and sad to say I still have UTI. It's very frustrating, after drinking 10-12 glasses of water a day, and religiously taking my antibiotics for 7 days I still got UTI. I have to back to hospital for another checkup. When I learned that we didn't get rid of the infection, I got all teary eyed. Why is my body betraying me?? I felt pity not for myself but for the little one inside me who'll be affected when the infection is not treated. Yes, UTI can cause pre-term labor and worst, birth defects (according to some studies).

Pregnant women are more susceptible to UTI because of the changes in the urinary tract. The uterus sits directly on top of the bladder so as it grows and increase in size, the weight can block the drainage of urine from the bladder causing an infection.

If you are experiencing any of these, you might have a UTI. Visit your doctor as early as possible.
  • Pain or burning sensation when urinating
  • The need to urinate more often than usual
  • A feeling of urgency when you urinate
  • Blood or mucus in the urine (invisible to the die, have your urine tested for this)
  • Cramps or pain in the lower abdomen
  • Chills, fever, sweats, leaking of urine
  • Waking up from sleep to urinate
  • Change in amount of urine, either more or less
  • Urine looks clouding
  • Pain or pressure in the area of the bladder
  • When bacteria spreads to the kidney, you may experience back pain, fever, nausea and vomiting
I'm angry for not taking good care of myself and my health, I have to wait for the pregnancy to happen to know this. And yet, I did realize quickly enough that with all the abuse I heap on my body--late nights, high stress, no water intake, too much coffee, fast foods, all-meat diet--it's amazing my body is still this strong. I mean, I've never looked this good and felt this good in my life. Now, despite all my sickly concerns stated above, this is ironically the healthiest I've been... during my pregnancy. It's just that some parts of me had begun to break down.

But according to my OB, nothing will happen to my baby as long as I get rid of the infection. The only possibility of anything happening to my baby is if I let the infection get SO bad that it spreads to my kidneys and I become close to being "septic" which means that the infection takes over my whole body, then I could go into pre-term labor, but that only happens if I let the infection go for weeks even months and neglect it.

Don't wait till you're pregnant to know that you are infected or better yet, as early as possible PREVENT of having an infection. Aside from antibiotics, here's some helpful tips to reduce the likelihood or minimize UTI:
  • Drink 10-12 glasses of water a day
  • Eliminate refined goods, fruit juices, caffeine, alcohol and sugar
  • Develop a habit of urinating as soon as possible and empty your bladder completely when you urinate
  • After urinating, blot dry (do not rub) and keep your genitals clean
  • Avoid strong soaps, douches, antiseptic creams, feminine hygiene sprays and powders
  • Change underwear everyday
  • Wear all cotton or cotton-crotch underwear
  • Don't soak in the bathtub longer than 30minutes or more than twice a day
There's much more said about UTI in the web, just Google it.

No comments: